|Home | Articles | News | Blog | About | Mailing List | Resources | Prominent Islamists | Middle East Forum | Keep Us Informed | Donate|
Feds sue Sterling Heights for rejecting mosque; call move anti-Muslim
The U.S. Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit against the City of Sterling Heights claiming the Detroit suburb was biased against Muslims when it shot down a plan to build a mosque there last year.
The Justice Department claims in the lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Detroit that Sterling Heights officials catered to the fears and views of anti-Muslim residents who showed up at public meetings and expressed views of all sorts in opposition to the mosque.
One person said "Remember 9/11," according to the lawsuit, while another held up a picture of a woman wearing a head covering and said he didn't want to "be near people like this" and a third person asked Homeland Security to screen the group that wanted the mosque, saying "they're cutting people's heads off; they kill our soldiers."
Note: The content of external articles does not necessarily reflect the views of Islamist Watch.