|Home | Articles | News | Blog | About | Mailing List | Resources | Prominent Islamists | Middle East Forum | Keep Us Informed | Donate|
Muslim leaders could have talked down Lindt Cafe siege gunman, inquest hears
by Paul Bibby
A prominent member of Sydney's Muslim community says the Lindt Cafe siege "may have had a different outcome" had he or the imam of Lakemba Mosque been able to talk to gunman Man Haron Monis as the incident unfolded.
The co-founder of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia, Keysar Trad, said he had been "beating" himself up over his inability to recognise Monis from grainy television images broadcast during the December 2014 siege.
"We would have exerted a lot more pressure on the authorities to speak to him [had we recognised him]," Mr Trad said on Thursday after giving evidence before the inquest into the siege.
Note: The content of external articles does not necessarily reflect the views of Islamist Watch.