|Home | Articles | News | Blog | About | Mailing List | Resources | Prominent Islamists | Middle East Forum | Keep Us Informed | Donate|
Beard gets Fort Hood suspect barred from court
by Angela K. Brown
An Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood was barred from military court by the judge Tuesday because he still has a beard.
Maj. Nidal Hasan was told that he couldn't attend any more hearings or his upcoming murder trial unless he shaves. The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, initially warned Hasan that he was violating Army regulations at a hearing earlier this month. That was the first time Hasan showed up in court sporting a beard.
Lead defense attorney Lt. Col. Kris Poppe told the judge that Hasan grew the beard as a "deeply sincere" expression of his faith and because he has a premonition he will die soon. Poppe quoted an imam who said growing a beard is mandatory or strongly encouraged for men of Islamic faith.
Note: The content of external articles does not necessarily reflect the views of Islamist Watch.